Shortlisting dos and don'ts
- Adopt an objective and consistent approach towards shortlisting
- Look for evidence that the applicant meets the essential (and desirable) criteria.
- Score each applicant against the criteria in the person specification.
- Rank candidates for interview by scores. A form is enclosed which may be used as a guide (Appendix 6.1).
- Keep a record of your decisions and rationale.
- Vary from the criteria in the person specification or introduce new criteria.
- Be influenced by personal knowledge of an applicant, or take any personal information into account.
- Make assumptions
- Exclude applicants who declare a criminal conviction, before seeking professional advice.