A day of prayer and fasting
The 2017 Methodist Conference, meeting in Birmingham earlier this summer, recognised the challenges and changes facing every community in these islands and the urgent call of God on the Methodist people to share the love of God in Jesus Christ in word and action.
The Conference therefore called on every local church to launch the new Methodist year with a day of prayer and fasting. This could be on 1 September, the official start of our year, or on a date close to it to suit local circumstances.
Some resources that you could use for this day include:
- 'Day by Day' - prayers for a 'spiritual five-a-day' in support of this year's Presidential and Vice-Presidential theme. Available as a booklet from Methodist Publishing or to download here.
- The new Prayer Handbook for 2017/18, from Methodist Publishing
- Resources for Creation Time, which also falls in September and could be used as a part of your day of prayer
- Notes on Fasting as a Spiritual Practice in the Methodist tradition. "By fasting and prayer we hoist the sails of our soul, and wait on God to move us with the Holy Spirit"
- Resources, activities and prayer ideas from the Manchester and Stockport Methodist District.
- Introducing Spiritual Practices (a downloadable group study guide) has a session exploring fasting
A note of caution
While encouraging an appropriate use of fasting, please also be mindful of potential risks and vulnerability for those suffering from, or at risk or in recovery from, eating disorders and mental ill health, in particular young people. A useful article about this can be found here, if necessary please take further advice.