Ecumenical Basics (introductory guidance notes) (see below)
Courtesies and practicalities - Introductory notes for district chairs and those working alongside them
This paper is based upon the publication Bishops Behaving Ecumenically by David Hawtin, Bishop of Repton 1999 - 2006 & Ecumenical practitioner. Originally a resource for bishops and their diocesan staff, it has been adapted to the needs and practices of the Methodist Church with Bishop Hawtin's permission.
Please note that: -
- Some material has been reproduced from that resource unaltered, material about history, attitudes and ecumenical procedures.
- Some material deals with the same topic but from a Methodist perspective and so incorporates Methodist insights. Sometimes it is alongside the original material and sometimes replaces it entirely.
- Some are new notes, not present in the original.
- This document is designed so that each page stands alone and be printed out for circulation to a group of people or for individual reference.
- These are guidelines only and it is the responsibility of local churches to discuss ecumenical issues with their District Ecumenical Officer or other advisors (legal, financial, property for example) as appropriate.
- Copies of this original paper can be found on the Anglican Methodist Covenant website