For Workers and Group Leaders
If you are considering or already planning to bring a group to 3Generate 2018, there is information for you on this page. In addition, here are some other links that may be of interest to you, your group, their parents and to your church/circuit/district:
- About 3Generate covers general details about the event
- 2018 information (including accommodation) can be found on the 3Generate 2018 page
- booking related details (including the booking links) are on How to book
- specific information is also available for parents, churches/circuits/districts, 8-11s, 11-18s, 19-23s and for those with additional needs
- those wishing to explore the manifesto, use the 3Generate Local resource pack or find out more about hearing the voice of children and young people, should visit the Agents of Change pages
- details about the Youth President and Youth Reps can also be found within the 3Generate section of the website - please encourage your group members to find out more about these roles and help them understand what they will be voting for in the 3Generate elections and perhaps inspire some to apply!
Group Leader Responsibilities
Group leaders (adults bringing groups to 3Generate) should be appointed/approved by their church, circuit or district.
Group leaders will have overall responsibility for their group and will need to obtain the necessary age, dietary and medical information for the children and young people in their group and add this to our event management system (powered by iKnow Church). Logins will be sent to leaders (these will be new logins for 2018).
Group leaders, together with their team, will need to obtain consent for each under-18 in their group – we will provide a form for this nearer to the event (it needs to be signed by parents/guardians/carers close to the date of the event). The signed parent/carer consent form should be retained by the the Group Leader, a copy uploaded to the event management system and the original brought to the event in case it needs to be referred to.
3Generate 2018 - Leader Information Days
Information days for leaders are being held across the country - we recommend that at least one leader from each group should attend a meeting but all leaders are welcome (NB: leaders from the same group do not have to attend the same meeting as each other).
These days include information about the event and the site, expectations of leaders, safeguarding and accommodation allocation:
- Thursday 21 June, 11am-3pm, Birmingham
- Saturday 23 June, 11am-3pm, Manchester
- Saturday 1 September, 11am-3pm, Birmingham
- Tuesday 25 September, 11am-3pm, London
Further details about these days will be emailed to group leaders.
Bringing your group to 3Generate
Firstly, thank you for undertaking this – we are looking forward to welcoming you, your fellow leaders and the members of your group.
The expectation is that each group will bring sufficient leaders to care for their number of under-18s:
- each group will have a minimum of two leaders
- for larger groups a ratio of one leader to six children/young people aged under 18 will be required
- mixed gender groups will need at least one male and one female leader.
Each group will require one Group Leader who will act as a key contact. Where smaller groups have two or three leaders, they may in reality share responsibilities equally, however, for the purposes of establishing a key contact for each group, please choose one person to have a Group Leader ticket (don’t worry this can be changed).
We understand that some churches may not have sufficient Youth / Children's Leaders / Workers and in some cases none, however, adults appointed through the safer recruitment process and in possession of a current DBS certificate covering "Regulated Activity" may be appointed for the purpose of the event. All adults attending the event will need to have been recruited within their local context via a process of safer recruitment and should attend 3Generate with the agreement of their minister or Circuit Superintendent. Details about safer recruitment can be found further below.
Guidance with regard to the under-18 /leader ratio
3Generate 2018 has been designed to be an event where youth and children’s leaders can bring along their own groups, be accommodated close to them and care for them throughout the weekend. There is no provision for adults to attend the event other than in the role of a leader with a group or as a contributor or volunteer.
The stated ratio of 1 leader for every 6 under-18s for groups with more than 12 under-18s has been designed to ensure sufficient care and supervision of our children and young people throughout the event. Generally, the ratio should not be exceeded. However, we understand that in some circumstances this may need to be the case so where this is required we encourage extra support to attend. If your group consists of smaller groups joining together (a few churches within a circuit, for example) and you have leader numbers above the ratio, all the leaders may still attend providing one or more leaders share some of the group's spare leader capacity and apply to volunteer. Volunteering may be part or full time so if you have any leaders who can spare a few hours, please ask them to apply when Volunteering is launched in May. More details about volunteering can be found here.
All group leaders and leaders accompanying groups to 3Generate will need to have gone through a process of safer recruitment within your local church, circuit or district (including parents or carers attending with young people with additional needs).
By safer recruitment, we would expect each person attending as a leader or carer to have:
- completed an application for their role in the church or as a 3Generate leader (including parents)
- provided 2 referees from which satisfactory references have been received
- been subject to a DBS check, including a barred list check for children (as this is “regulated activity” because of overnight care)
- had an interview/discussion with a church leader.
DBS checks should be renewed at least every 5 years and we would encourage making use of the “update service”. Please refer to your church secretary or minister to organise or renew, if required.
If there's anything else you'd like to know about 3Generate, or if you need help with your booking (from 24th April 2018) you can contact us here: email@example.com