The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Toolkit is designed to support the discipleship and mission of the Methodist Church and enrich the life of the Church. The toolkit seeks to equip Methodists to go beyond legal compliance, being based on the principle that all humankind is made in God's image, and therefore worthy of dignity and respect.
Case studies and stories play a central role in the toolkit as they evidence real experiences, positive and negative. The stories demonstrate how issues arise through different people's life experiences. They help us to understand the pain of isolation, patterns of exclusion and inclusion, oppression, discrimination, joy, hope and fear.
There are seven main modules, two enrichment modules and, importantly, the Theological Underpinning for Equality Diversity and Inclusion.
The Toolkit can be downloaded below.
Module 1.3 : The Law (Pdf)
Module 2 : Age (Pdf)
Module 5 : Gender (Pdf)
Module 6 : Race (Pdf)
For Module 1
- Video from Sheffield Methodist District- Being an Inclusive Church
For Module 3
For Module 4
- Made in God's Image, Bible study series (Word) (PDF)
- Accessible Welcome, a resource from The Arthur Rank Centre, is designed to help rural churches work towards ensuring that their church – both the building and their worship – is accessible to all.
- Video from Sheffield Methodist District - Fearfully and Wonderfully Made - Responding well to the needs of disabled people
For Module 5
- Practice guidelines when working with issues of Domestic Abuse ( PDF)
For Module 6
- Video from Sheffield Methodist District - Becoming anti-racist
For Module 7.1
- Living with Contradictory Convictions worship resource ( PDF)
- Homophobia: definition and guidance ( PDF)