Local preacher secretaries
Remembering our Call - An Annual Service for Local Preachers
Each year, Local Preachers are required to attend a service of reaffirmation of their call (SO 563(3)(v)).
A PDF version of the order of service for this can be downloaded here.
A Word version (which can be edited) can be downloaded here.
A set of PowerPoint slides for the service is available here.
LPWL Return Form
To report Local Preacher developments in your circuit, including requesting accreditation material or Long Service Certificates or registering new students, tutors or mentors for training, please fill in an LPWL Return Form:
Click here to complete a Local Preachers' Return Form and register any changes in your circuit online.
Local Preachers' Accountability and Review
Since the 2018 Conference, Local Preachers are required to "review their ministry" every three years. These two Guidance Notes explain what is required of us, and how peer review can become a helpful part of our continuing development as local preachers:
Long Service Certificates
Long Service Certificates are provided by the Connexional Team to celebrate 25, 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80 years of service. Unfortunately, we are not able to issue certificates signed by the President and Vice President to mark any other anniversaries.
However, an alternative Long Service Certificate is available online. This certificate is designed to be signed by the Superintendent of the circuit. It allows for years of service to be recognised at any point in the ministry of a local preacher, or to mark occasions such as retirements or other significant milestones.
Please print and present these certificates locally yourselves, as with the Worship Leader certificates.
If you have trouble printing these new certificates please contact us at email@example.com
Guidance for Local Preachers' Meetings:
- A Guide to the Duties of the Secretary of the Local Preachers Meeting
- Connexional Team Guidelines for the Circuit Local Preachers Meeting
- Standing Orders relating to Local Preachers
- Standing Orders relating to Worship Leaders
- Annual report forms - to be submitted to the District Local Preacher Secretary
Guidance and Forms for Local Preacher Training:
- Training of Local Preachers - the process of discernment, formation and training for local preachers, set out in table form.
- Circuit Interviews for Persons On Trial - guidance on conducting the two circuit interviews for local preachers on trial, including suggestions for using an Appreciative Inquiry approach.
- Worship & Preaching Feedback Form - to provide constructive feedback for one service each quarter for those on note and on trial, as required by Standing Order 564B (5). A PDF version is also available, for Apple device users only - please click here.
- Congregation Feedback Form - to provide informal constructive feedback for any worship leader or local preacher as requested by them as part of their initial training or continuing development. A PDF version is also available, for Apple device users only - please click here.
- Request to extend 'On Trial' period - this form should be used when submitting a request to the District Policy Committee
- GDPR and the Circuit Preaching Plan - guidance from TMCP regarding how to make the Plan compliant with GDPR requirements.
District Local Preachers' Officers
District Local Preachers' Secretaries and Tutors perform a vital role in supporting the work of circuit Local Preachers' Meetings and connecting people involved in training and development across their District.
This Role Description has been produced in consultation with District Officers to assist in explaining these roles, and encouraging districts to make the most of the opportunities they present.
All District Officers are invited to an annual meeting at Methodist Church House, to share issues and concerns and contribute to the development of training and support for Local Preachers and Worship Leaders.