Professional supervision training
For the future, the Methodist Church is going to need professionally trained and qualified supervisors to help supervise senior ministers and to train future supervisors. We are also beginning to be asked to help support other denominations in setting up their own systems.
For this reason it is willing to sponsor the professional training of 6 supervisors a year for the next few years in order that they might become accredited as senior practitioners with APSE (The Association of Pastoral Supervision and Education: https://www.pastoralsupervision.org.uk/why-accreditation/how-do-i-become-accredited/).
We are therefore looking for suitably gifted and experienced people to undertake this training in addition to those who were sponsored to do this last year.
The bursary is equivalent to £850 and can be applied to any training in pastoral supervision at diploma level that is approved by the Connexional Director of Supervision.
One option is the Diploma Course offered by Wesley House Cambridge. Details at: https://www.wesley.cam.ac.uk/study/short-courses/supervision/
Criteria for selection
- Have successfully completed the course, Responsible Grace, or equivalent (25 hours)
- Have been in supervision for at least 1 year (at least 9 hours supervision experience)
- Have supervised others for at least 1 year under the Methodist Church’s Supervision Policy
- Can supply a reference from a supervisee and a supervisor
- Is willing to pursue accreditation as a supervisor with APSE at the senior level
- Is willing to supervise under the Methodist Supervision Policy for the three years following the course
- Is willing to offer (free of charge) at least 6 days per year for the three years following the course) to connexional training/briefing in supervision or supervision beyond their local context
Those interested should apply to the Connexional Director of Supervision by 31 January 2020 at firstname.lastname@example.org including:
- A reasoned statement why they would like to be considered and confirming your intentions to pursue APSE accreditation and to offer supervision within the Methodist Church for at least 3 years.
- A reference from their supervisor stating how long and how frequently they have been in supervision and commenting on their ability to make good use of supervision.
- A reference from a supervisee stating how long and how frequently they have met in supervision and how they have found that experience.
Suitable courses to which the bursary can be applied include:
- Wesley House’s Diploma Course: www.wesley.cam.ac.uk/admissions/supervision/
- Michael Patterson’s Diploma course in Glasgow: www.ipsrp.org.uk/events/2019-recruitment-opens-for-scottish-courses/
- Sherwood Psychotherapy Training Institute in association with the Institute of Pastoral Counselling & Supervision's Professional Certificate in Pastoral Supervision. Click here. (Pdf)