A Methodist Way of Life
A Methodist Way of Life is a way of living. It is how we try to live our lives in response to God’s love, made known to us in Jesus.
Like the early Christians (Acts 2.42-47), we seek to express what it means to follow Jesus in the regular, practical actions of worship, learning and caring, service and evangelism.
In this sense, A Methodist Way of Life is both new and old. It is new, in that Methodists first discussed such a way at the 2018 Conference, although it is based on Our Calling, agreed in 2000. That, in turn, was built on what Methodists have always done, since the days of John Wesley, in trying to follow Jesus and live out the Christian faith – just as those first followers in Acts did.
The commitments of A Methodist Way of Life remind us of, and provide a compass for, Christian living.
A Methodist Way of Life
The calling of the Methodist Church is to respond to the gospel of God’s love in Christ and to live out its discipleship in worship and mission.
As far as we are able, with God’s help:
- We will pray daily.
- We will worship with others regularly.
- We will look and listen for God in Scripture, and the world.
Learning and Caring
- We will care for ourselves and those around us.
- We will learn more about our faith.
- We will practise hospitality and generosity.
- We will help people in our communities and beyond.
- We will care for creation and all God’s gifts.
- We will challenge injustice.
- We will speak of the love of God.
- We will live in a way that draws others to Jesus.
- We will share our faith with others.
May we be a blessing within and beyond God’s Church, for the transformation of the world.
There are questions related to the commitments of A Methodist Way of Life which invite us to reflect on how well we are succeeding in living out this way of life. Use these questions to reflect on your Christian living by yourself, or in conversation with others.
A Methodist Way of Life commitment cards including their related questions
More resources are planned to accompany A Methodist Way of Life over the next year. These include a pocket-sized reminder booklet, a short study guide, conversation cards, a sermon series outline and some videos.
If you want to stay in touch with developments, keep an eye on the Week Ahead email. (Sign up here, if you haven’t already).