The Well at Christmas Top 10
This year Advent and Christmas might look quite different. There may well be a huge variety of resources, events and activities on offer in reaction to this. To help you navigate all of that, here's The Well's run down of our Top 10 seasonal ideas:
- #GodIsWithUs - The Methodist Church Christmas campaign for 2020 seeks to share this good news through twenty-four stories of individuals and their experiences of this extraordinary year. Each day of Advent a testimony from somebody connected to the Methodist Church will be shared. Each individual will reflect on what hope has looked like for them this year and how they have experienced God with them.
- 3Generate 365 Advent Bible studies - Whether you and your group are participating in 3Generate 365 or not, these nine short Bible studies, focusing on different characters from the Nativity story, are easy to use in a group setting - or you could encourage your children and young people to use them for personal reflection.
- Resources from ROOTS - This Advent and Christmas, ROOTS is offering two free resources - helping us reflect on the challenges of 2020 and share light, hope and peace with our communities.
- Christingle at Home - Free to download from the Children's Society for adults and families to share Christingle if we aren't able to meet in a church service.
- #PictureAdvent - A wonderful intergenerational resource for faith at home, using Scripture, picture and reflection to help families encounter God each day of Advent. Also includes Picture Advent Bingo, to inspire acts of kindness, generosity and care for creation throughout Advent.
- The Injustice Advent Calendar - Traidcraft has partnered with some world-changing organisations to provide 24 simple ways to make the world a better place. Each one is free to do and takes less than five minutes.
- The Gift of Time - Big Dreams, Little Footprints suggests ways in which families can have a more sustainable Christmas - and build some great memories at the same time. More tips on celebrating in a sustainable way are available from Kids Against Plastic.
- Blue Christmas - We recognise that Christmas is not necessarily an easy or a happy time for everyone and, this year, this could be especially true. God Space Light offers resources to help acknowledge pain this Christmas.
- A Virtual Nativity?- If we're not able to meet face to face, adapt this script from Max7 to use as part of your online services, or perhaps share one of these videos telling the Nativity story. An alternative is the Instant Nativity from the Bible Society or this story of the first Christmas from Lost Sheep. To supplement your story telling, Illustrated Ministry offers several colouring and craft projects, or find out what Messy Church and the Bible Reading Fellowship have on offer. Finally, for creative online carolling, check out this list of videos from Go Chatter and these carols in British Sign Language.
- The Wandering Wise Men - We love this idea, which was sent to us from Children and Family Worker, Natalie Kay. She suggests it could be a creative alternative to Elf on the Shelf.
Still want more?
Then check out The Well Creative Children's Ministry Blog
Filled with ideas to help anyone working with children in the Methodist Church and beyond, our Blog has several posts with great ideas for the season, including one with Ten Ideas for Advent and Christmas.