The Southern and Islands Region
Meet the Team
Adrian Roux is the Learning & Development Coordinator for the Southern & Island region. Adrian is a presbyter who has served the Church in many roles, including superintendency, District Mission Resourcing and the formation of ministers at the MCSA's Seth Mokitimi Methodist Seminary. He has an MTh in Theology and Development and is currently studying towards an Executive MBA. Adrian is passionate about mission, healing and growing the church, studying the gospels and the Pauline writings, and learning to follow Jesus more closely in this world.
Contact Adrian | email@example.com | 07799 900476
Katie Deadman-Vernall is a Learning & Development Officer for the Southern & Island region. Katie has experience in delivering and developing creative and inclusive learning programmes for young people and adults, in coordinating volunteers, in creative writing and event planning. Her main areas of work are Pioneer Ministries, Fresh Expressions, supporting Lay Employees, encouraging circuit vision and strategy, exploring EDI and Theory U, and developing the use of social media in ministry. Katie is the point of contact for the Southampton District.
Contact Katie | firstname.lastname@example.org | 07799 902571
Jon White is a Learning & Development Officer in the Southern & Islands region. Before joining the Network, Jon worked as Youth Advisor for a Church of England Diocese in the West Midlands, and latterly as a schools link worker for a small international mission charity in North London. He also has experience in community health and supporting care leavers.
Jon comes to the network passionate about supporting and challenging churches to live out their calling. He has experience of coaching lay and ordained ministers, supporting leadership teams as they plant Fresh Expressions of church, supporting churches in strategic thinking and implementation, training young leaders, web design and social media for churches. Jon is the point of contact for the South East District.
Contact Jon | email@example.com | 07969 985376
James Devenish is a Learning & Development Officer in the Southern & Islands region. James is a musician by background and training (piano, ukulele and most recently organ) and for the last 17 years he has taught music in secondary schools.
James is really excited to have taken up the position of Learning and Development Officer in the Methodist Church. He is really eager to apply what he has learnt in teaching (as well as learning new skills) in the service of the Church. He lives in Poole with his wife Ruth and three young children.
Contact James | firstname.lastname@example.org | 07799 902567
If you want to see events outside our region, click on the black X next to the word 'tags' on the top of the calendar.
Our Priorities for 2019/2020
Although we will aim to help you with any learning or development that you or your church need, we also have key areas of work that we are focussing on in any given year. These are chosen in consultation with both national and local leaders. If your area of interest isn't on this list, then please still get in touch. Our priorities this year are:
- Coordinating training, development and support for circuit stewards and circuit leadership teams
- Developing and signposting resources and support for rural churches – including ‘Discipling Presence’
- Coordinating regional 'Continuing Development in Ministry' events
- Managing the ONE Programme process for host projects and ‘One Programme Participants’
- Coordinating regional lay employee support and resourcing – including an annual conference and retreat days
- Supporting the Worship: Leading & Preaching course
- Supporting and developing pioneers and candidates
- Promoting Positive Working Together through ‘Growing Through Conflict’, ‘The Bullying and Harassment Course’ and ‘Faith in Change and Conflict’
- Enabling and supporting church and circuit reviews, particularly through equipping people to do them well
- Supporting the growth and development of the church through Evangelism, Vocational Development and supporting the thinking and development of the ‘Lay Local Ministers’ work
- Supporting Presbyters and Deacons through retreat and development days.
- Developing the youth and children’s work in the region through supporting and equipping those who are doing the work
If you have recently attended one of our events, please visit our resources page to download presentations, handouts and more.
Get in Touch
You can contact us directly using the details above.
We also have a monthly e-newsletter, featuring upcoming events, news and comment from around the region. You can read our latest issue here. To start receiving this direct to your inbox, enter your email address and click 'subscribe' below.