Ministries: Vocations and Worship
Ministries: Vocations and Worship is part of The Conference Office. Its functions are:
- to resource the discernment of vocations throughout the Connexion within the Church’s understanding of the ministry of the whole people of God
- to support the ministry of local lay leadership including circuit and church stewards
- to oversee and develop training for Local Preachers and Worship Leaders
- to service the candidates and probationers’ oversight committee and ensure that it, and the candidating process, serve the wider Church in providing rigorous patterns of selection, training and oversight for students and probationers
- to oversee the implementation of a connexional programme of supervision for ordained ministers
- to provide appropriate support and resources for ordained ministers, including Superintendents’ Induction and Conferences, sabbatical support, Ministerial Development Review and the Pre-Retirement Course
- to encourage those in ministry in their continued learning including support for those undertaking further degrees
- to support the work of relevant committees, eg the Stationing Committee and Ministries Committee
- with others in the Team, to administer the processes for the selection and induction of ministers of other conferences and churches serving in the Methodist Church in Britain
- to support the work of the Fellowship Groups and Chaplains serving Methodists from other Conferences worshipping in Britain
- to maintain and oversee relationships with the learning institutions which serve the Methodist Church in Britain.
Members of the Team
The Revd Dr Claire Potter
Ministerial Coordinator for the Oversight of Ordained Ministries
Claire has oversight of candidates for presbyteral and diaconal ministry, probationers and those seeking to serve on the stations of the Methodist Church. This includes implementing policies for the discerning of vocation for candidates and the oversight of probationer ministers. Claire also oversees the processes by which Ministers of other churches and conferences transfer to work in the British Methodist Church in Britain, including the processes for assessment, induction and pastoral support. She has a role in developing the work of the Fellowship Groups and in the reinstatement of ministers.
Claire started in this role in September 2018, having previously been Superintendent of the Wey Valley Circuit. She has worked in circuits in Hull and Tooting, and spent five years as Development Manager of Epworth Old Rectory
The Revd Paul Wood
Ministry Development Coordinator
Paul oversees the work of the Ministry Development Team, whose aim is to equip and train those in ministries recognised by the church both lay and ordained (Presbyters and Deacons). He leads on Continuing Development in Ministry overseeing the planning and delivery of Superintendents' Induction courses and annual Conferences.
Paul is the link between Ministries: Vocations and Worship and the Learning Network and the Queen's Foundation.
Paul has a passion for developing quality worship and church leadership. He is jointly responsible for the coordination of worship at the Methodist Conference.
Ministry Development Officer for Worship and Local Preachers
Bob is the lead officer for Worship Leaders and Local Preachers. Bob joined the Ministry Development team in September 2016 having served for 7 years as a Lay Pastor. His brief is to encourage and support all those across the Connexion who communicate the love of God through worship and preaching. An engineer by profession, Bob loves the great outdoors, especially if it involves boots or bikes.
The Revd Dr Jane Leach
Connexional Director of Supervision
Jane leads the team responsible for implementing the Supervision Policy of the Methodist Church in Britain, ensuring that all ordained ministers and lay people with significant pastoral or representative responsibility have access to a skilled supervisor. She is a professionally accredited supervisor and supervision educator, the author of several articles and books about supervision and was the founding chair of the Association of Pastoral Supervision and Education.
Jane works part time as Director of Supervision for the Methodist Church in Britain and is also the Principal of Wesley House Cambridge where she supervises research and teaches in the fields of practical theology, ministry development and apologetics. She was ordained presbyter at the 1998 Conference and has served in circuit ministry and in theological education.
Jane is passionate about global Wesleyan theology, about education for active discipleship and church leadership, and about communicating the faith in a post-secular context.
The Revd Dr Philip Richter
Philip served on the Connexional Team from 2014-2018 as a Ministry Development Officer. Having retired from full time active ministry he is working with the Ministries: Vocations and Worship team to find out how processes of candidating and training are perceived by potential candidates.
Sydney provides administrative support for the planning and delivery of Supervision Training in the Methodist Church and provides administrative support for the Ministries Committee Manses Group.
Having moved to the UK from the USA in 2017, Sydney enjoys traveling and exploring the country with her husband, as well as exercising, reading, trying new restaurants, and being involved in her church community.
Gabriella provides administrative support for Ministries: Vocations and Worship. Her main brief is looking after the administrative aspects related to Local Preachers and Worship Leaders. Gabriella is fully involved in the planning and practicalities of the Superintendents’ Conferences and the New Superintendents’ Induction courses.
In her spare time, Gabriella is a volunteer and rider at Aldersbrook Riding School in Wanstead.
Click here for information on support for candidates including the next Candidates Portfolio Day.
Regional Learning and Development Officers
Ministries: Vocations and Worship work collaboratively with the Learning Network in each of the regions. For your regional link person see below:
Scotland & Shetland
The Revd Martin Ramsden
The Revd Graham Jones
North West & Mann
The Revd Jonathan Mead
East of England
Southern & Islands
The Revd Adrian Roux
Please contact email@example.com
Not sure which region you are in? See here /learning/network-regions/which-region-am-i-in