Evangelism for Leaders Course
This course is for leaders who really want to reach new people but also understand that evangelism is a word with baggage. It's for leaders who want to discover their inner evangelists - and it's for those who'd rather they remained undiscovered! It's for leaders who are thinking: 'evangelism was never part of my training for ministry' or 'if I mention evangelism in my place, everyone will run a mile and never come back'. It's for leaders who are wondering how to help others grow in confidence in their faith. It's for leaders who know they have a responsibility when it comes to evangelism, but are busy people trying to keep the show on the road. It's for leaders who are questioning whether evangelism is possible in a holistic, inclusive, relational and authentic way.
This is a free course for all leaders in the Methodist Church (lay and ordained, paid and unpaid, including but not exclusive to Chairs, Superintendents, Presbyters, Deacons, Local Lay Pastors, Pioneers, Children, Youth and/or Family Workers, Chaplains, Church or Circuit Stewards, or leaders of mission, social action or outreach projects).
In 2020 the Methodist Conference adopted a Church-wide strategy for Evangelism and Growth, deepening our commitment to being an evangelistic Church. Leaders are crucial for this commitment. This course aims to equip leaders in their contexts to: confidently model what it means to follow our shared calling to evangelism; to intentionally prioritise and promote evangelism and to cultivate a culture of confident, authentic faith sharing which raises up those spiritually gifted as Evangelists. There are five sessions, each two hours long:
- Session 1: Evangelism: actually good news? - exploring our theology of evangelism.
- Session 2: Everyone an Evangelist: even me? - exploring our own identities as evangelists.
- Session 3: Are we making disciple-making disciples? - exploring how to enable and encourage evangelism in our places.
- Session 4: Action planning for evangelism - exploring practical steps for encouraging a culture of evangelism in our places.
- Session 5 (roughly six months later): How do we know we're doing evangelism right? - a chance to review, listen for God and look to the future.
The course will run four times a year online, and the dates for 2021 are below. When you register for a course, please commit to attending all five sessions - if you don't think that's going to be possible then you'll need to let us know. Please note - the first four sessions run over a five week period with a one week break in the middle.
Please sign up using the links provided:
Option 1: Jan-Feb +Sept 2021 (FULLY BOOKED)
- Dates: On Tuesdays - 26th January, 2nd February, 16th February, 23rd February, plus 14th September 2021
- Times: 10.30am-12.30pm
- This option is now fully booked.
Option 2: Apr-May +Nov 2021
- Dates: On Thursdays- 29th April, 6th May, 20th May, 27th May, plus 11th November 2021
- Times: 7.00-9.00pm
- Register here
Option 3: June - July 2021 +Jan 2022
- Dates: On Wednesdays - 16th June, 23rd June, 7th July, 14th July 2021, plus 12th Jan 2022.
- Times: 2.00-4.00pm
- Register here
Option 4: Oct 2021 +March2022
- Dates: Over a weekend from Friday 8th - Saturday 9th October 2021, plus Saturday 19th March 2022
- Times: 8th Oct: 4-9pm, 9th Oct: 10am-7pm, 19th March: 10am-12pm.
- Register here
If you have any questions please contact Holly Adams, Evangelism and Contemporary Culture Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org