A world transformed by God's love
A confident Church motivated to share God's love
A people celebrating being part of a worldwide family
- Participation in God's mission and the proclamation of God's kingdom are at the heart of Jesus' message and continue to be empowered by the Holy Spirit's activity in the church and in the world.
- Every Methodist is called to share in this mission, working together in cooperation, partnership and collaboration wherever they are.
- Sharing God's mission embraces and unites social action and evangelical proclamation as good news for all people in every aspect of their being. It is through that mission that God will enable holiness, transforming lives, communities, nations and the world.
- God's mission is expressed both locally and globally and the Methodist Church in Britain celebrates being in partnership with the worldwide community of Methodist, United and Uniting Churches.
- Mission at home and overseas is all one mission.
The Purposes for Mission in the Methodist Church in Britain in the twenty-first Century include:
To invite and call all people to discipleship, evangelism and service by:
- Proclaiming and affirming our conviction of God's love in Christ, for us and for all the world.
- Fulfilling the call of God to be a good neighbour to all.
- Creating opportunities to serve God in ways that support community development and challenge unjust structures and systems.
- Encouraging fresh ways of being church.
To equip and resource people for mission by:
- Building confidence in British Methodists as disciples of Jesus so that we rediscover a passion for mission and evangelism.
- Encouraging a new generation to tell its faith story by focusing on explicit and intentional voicing of the Gospel.
- Engaging in education and training for mission in every church, circuit, district and wherever the connexion meets together, drawing on local and global resources.
- Encouraging and supporting British Methodists to live on a world map and to be disciples in a worldwide Church.
To encourage and participate in networks of Church to Church relationships by:
- Engaging with Churches across the world in a spirit of partnership, collaboration and mutuality; giving and receiving inspiration, challenges and resources.
- Sharing experiences, insights and best practice of mission with partners at home and overseas so that we all learn from each other.
- Fostering ecumenical links in mission, including the World Methodist Council.
- Contributing to and shaping a common response to global mission with our Methodist, United and Uniting partners.
- Facilitating encounters between people across denominational, national and cultural boundaries that enrich the Church at every level.