God's love doesn't stay in the lines
Charles Wesley's famous hymn Love Divine, All Loves Excelling talks about Jesus as ‘unbounded love’ – a kind of love that cannot be contained, that works in our lives and in our world to free us and heal us. Unbounded Love is the theme of the Lent campaign of the Methodist Church in 2024 – holding together our commitments to be a justice-seeking church, and a people who experience and proclaim the good news of God’s uncontainable love.
What to expect?
A range of resources that connect the Gospel readings from the Sunday lectionary throughout Lent to weekly themes, each one a line lifted from “Love divine, all loves excelling”. The themes are:
- Week 1 - “Pure, unbounded love thou art”: Jesus’ baptism and wilderness experience – God’s love bursts the barriers of heaven, and then bursts into the realms of darkness.
- Week 2 - “Visit us with thy salvation”: Losing our life (psyche) to find it – the ways we attempt to insulate ourselves from God’s love.
- Week 3 - “Pure and spotless let us be”: Turning the tables in the Temple – corporate religious attempts to boundary God’s love.
- Week 4 - “Finish then thy new creation”: God’s unbounded love for the cosmos.
- Week 5 - “Changed from glory into glory”: Like a seed that has to die before it bears fruit, death is no barrier to God’s love.
- Week 6 - “Till we cast our crowns before thee”: As Jesus entered Jerusalem the people responded by taking off their cloaks. What’s our equivalent?
- Holy Week - “Lost in wonder, love, and praise!”: As Jesus becomes bound by his opponents, will God’s love stay bound?
What will be available?
Forty daily discipleship prompts, delivered straight to your email inbox every day of Lent, excluding Sundays. Daily emails will include Bible studies, creative activities and challenges to take an action.
A poster to display outside your church during Lent, inviting passers-by to consider the message of Unbounded Love.
Light-touch guidance for either Sunday services or small groups, lifting some of the themes and activities from the daily discipleship prompts for leaders to use and adapt in local settings. These will be available to download from the Methodist Church website from the early January 2024.
Social media content posted on the Methodist Church social media channels throughout Lent for you to share and engage with – especially on Ash Wednesday, which also happens to be Valentine’s Day, and the perfect opportunity to launch the campaign.
- Download website banner (400 x 150)
- Download website banner (1250 x 300)
- Download email banner
- Download social media post (square)
We'll be posting the email sign up link on 1 January 2024, ready for people to begin signing up to the campaign in the New Year. For those already signed up to receive our Out of the Ordinary Advent email reflections, you'll automatically get the Lent email reflections too!
We'll be updating this page through November and December 2023 with visual content as it get's released, so you can begin to see the campaign take shape.
Don't miss out on our free resources!
Stay up to date with our campaign and other digital resources. Please subscribe below: