Other environmental resources and campaigns
This year Earth Day is on 22 April. Find out more and register here.
Churches and Christians are encouraged to celebrate the Time for Creation together between 1 September – 4 October (the Feast of St Francis) each year. More information and resources are here.
The resources below have been collated to provide information on the issue of shale gas extraction or 'fracking' as it is commonly known.
In 2016, a Methodist Conference motion requested the Methodist Council to give consideration to the issue of fracking and the following briefing is to be considered by the Methodist Council in January 2017 Fracking - Proposed response to Notice of Motion 2016/207
Reports and resources
- Fracking - A briefing for our churches A Report from the Joint Public Issues Team
- "Shale Gas and Fracking" A Briefing Paper from the Mission and Public Affairs Council and the Environment Working Group of the Church of England
- "Fracking and the Development of on shore oil and gas in Scotland" - A report of the Church and Society Council to the Church of Scotland General Assembly, May 2015
- "The Challenges of Fracking: Shale Gas Exploration & Proposed Extraction in Lancashire" A discussion document from the Churches Together in Lancashire
- "Fracking - What is a Christian Response"
- "Shale gas in the UK" RSPB Policy Briefing, August 2013
- "Onshore Petroleum: The compatibility of UK onshore petroleum with meeting the UK's carbon budgets Committee on Climate Change"
- Scottish unconventional oil and gas: Compatibility with Scottish emissions targets
- "Shale gas: an updated assessment of environmental and climate change impacts" Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research
Pray and Fast for the Climate
Pray and Fast for the Climate is a movement of Christians in the UK praying and fasting on the 1st of each month for a meaningful and just global climate agreement at the UN climate talks.
The initiative is supported by members of the 'Faith for the Climate' network, including: A Rocha UK, The Baptist Union, Christian Aid, Christian Concern for One World, Climate Stewards, Commitment for Life, Hope for the Future, Operation Noah, Our Voices, SPEAK, Tearfund, The Church of England and its Shrinking the Footprint Programme, The Methodist Church, and The United Reformed Church.