Stories of hope
- Hathersage Methodist Church EcoChurch award. Read how they are working together as a community here.
- Huddersfield church becomes the 4000th EcoChurch - find out more about this important milestone here.
- Gold EcoChurch award for Summerbridge Methodist Church near Harrogate. Find out more here. Listen to our podcast in which this project is featured here.
- Silver EcoChurch award for Epsom Methodist Church. Find out about this project and how they are engaging with the local community through the farmers' market here.
- Mint Methodist Centre in Exeter have registered with the EcoChurch scheme. Take a look at their website for materials for house groups as well as details of how the young people of their community have created an ecological manifesto.
Other initiatives by the local church
- Working towards net zero - a case study from Bradford. Be inspired here.
- Find out how the Northampton District is mobilizing churches to engage with climate and environmental issues here.
- Paul Heppleston from Wellspring Church in Wirksworth, Derbyshire shares his insights into church and community action on environmental issues. Be inspired by his church's story which you can read here.
- Find out how a Chapel field was turned into allotments for food production and wildlife here.
Recent building stories
Funding opportunities and other resources
If you're wanting to do more for the environment, Romsey Methodist Church have created a YouTube channel, Stewarding Precious Earth, to help inform and offer practical support for church communities tackling climate change. Take a look and subscribe here. Watch a film about how they tackled changing their church building to reduce their carbon footprint here.
A funding opportunity for rural churches to have feasibility studies for renewable energy projects. Adele Borrowman, Grants Fundraising Enabler presents what she has done in the Yorkshire North & East District. She has worked to learn lessons of previous applications and has developed a system for streamlining the application process. This short 12 minute video gives a good explanation of what she has done and tips on how to start the process:
Any queries about this scheme can be sent to the Property Team. Their contact details are here.
Campaigning including COP26
- Final Agreement. The Presidency reacts to the final deal agreed on 13th November. Read statements by the Revd Sonia Hicks and Barbara Easton here.
- Global Declaration. Over 20 senior leaders from Methodist Churches around the world have signed a joint statement calling on world leaders to act at COP26 to achieve climate justice. Read the declaration here.
- Young COP26 workers gather from across the globe. Senior Media Officer Anna McCrum interviews James, Mollie and Irene, three of the young Climate Justice for All (CJ4A) activists attending COP26
- What happened at the Methodist Hub in Glasgow? Anna McCrum talks to the Revd Laurent Vernet, from our COP26 Hub at Woodlands Methodist Church, about the exciting events happening over the next few days.
- A Green focus at circuit level
The Revd Andrew Baker tells us about the 'green emphasis' growing across the Strathclyde circuit.
- An Iranian gift The Revd Andrew Baker tells Anna McCrum how reaching out to diverse groups in the community from the COP26 Hub lead to an evening of Persian music.
- Methodist Investment and Climate Change
“I think over the past few years we at the CFB have probably been guilty of not listening as intently as we could to the voice of the Methodist people.” Listen to an interview from Glasgow with the Revd Andrew Harper, Head of Ethics for the Central Finance Board of the Methodist Church.
- Panel discussion - 'What does the Methodist Church itself do about Climate Change?' Watch again here
Read a blog from the Revd Sonia Hicks, President of the Methodist Conference on why and how you can take action on climate change here.
In case you missed it - watch this excellent series of talks hosted by Bramhall Methodist Church where seven eminent scientists from a range of disciplines discuss how their scientific knowledge informs how they pray for our planet. .
Read a series of blogs from the Revd Simon Topping on climate justice here.
Listen to a special podcast for Earth Day 2021.